Thursday 22 August 2013

Ladies who lunch

Ladies who lunch is the QISMA expression for boaters who don't come off the boat to work the locks. We adopted the phrase after following, in teaming rain, what we thought was a single hander up the Stratford Canal last year.  I may have told the story before, if so, sorry!

We pulled off a mooring behind this chap, with a lock ahead I walked up. He stayed onboard and let me work it for him. I don't notice anyone else on his boat but my head was down and I was busy. Off he goes, I empty the lock, we go in etc etc. get to the next lock and he's waiting for me. Bit of a cheek but ... up I go. Then I spot her. Wifey sitting nice and snug inside playing Sudoko. The look on my face must have given the game away. 'Oh' says he' 'my wife is having her lunch'. Undaunted, off he goes to the next lock and YES, he waits for me. Waited in vain. I got onboard QISMA, told the Captain to pull over and put a clear lock's distance between us.

If he'd said she had a bad back, or was feeling crook, whatever, but having her lunch!!

We saw them again near the Hatton Flight, fortunately we were teamed up with our friends
on GOLDENGIRL.

I am very nearly at the point ...  Our paths crossed today! Fortunately going in opposite directions! 

They remain second on my list of boats never to share a lock with. 




No comments:

Post a Comment